Monday, October 6, 2008

Live for today, be happy

 After watching conference yesterday some talks seemed to stick out to me this morning.  President Monson gave two wonderful talks.  He was talking about living for today and not planning so many tomorrows that you lose sight of today.  I find myself doing this quite a bit and getting more thinking than actually doing done.  There are so many things I would like to do but never seem to have the time to follow through, and now I am left wondering what I could have done with  all the time I have exhausted on those thoughts or preparations that never happen.  Reading one more story, playing a game of uno, or just talking with my kids.  It was also said that you will one day miss the finger prints on everything and the laundry piling up, which is is hard thing to think of sometimes.  As our children get older and I find time only with one child and sometimes by myself I wonder what to do, I guess I kind of find myself boring.  I always think how nice it would be to go to run errands alone and get many things accomplished and when that does happen I miss little voices to talk to and little hands grabbing things they want.  I am really going to work on being happy in the moment you are in as President Monson said.  To live each day being happy and fulfilled with what I am doing and where I am.  I am so grateful for conference to be enlightened and uplifted and to have a living Prophet to guide us in our Latter Day. 

9 comments:

Nat and Dave said...

Amen! Thanks for that message! It's so true, no matter what stage of life we are in! Its so easy to get wrapped up in tomorrow, when today is what really matters!! Thanks!!

Emily said...

I feel like maybe it's time to reprioritize. Let's enjoy the little things!

Jamie said...

President Monson's talks struck a chord with me too. I guess because as mom's there are so many little things that can distract us from the important things. I loved how he talked about the people in our lives (friends, families) being more important than problems to be solved. I am really good at making myself a "to do" list and plowing through it so that I can be satisfied at the end of the day that I accomplished many things. It always suprises me when at the end of the day instead of feeling satisfied I feel frustrated usually because I was pushing aside the needs of my family to accomplish all the "wonderful" things on my list. I let the problems to be soved become more important than the people to be loved. I pray for more wisdom daily to know how to make the best use of the time I have. Conference is always so uplifting and inspiring

Steveo - Pass The Hammer said...

Its amazing how unnecessarily busy we make ourselves. I can't imagine how many little moments I've missed because of how pre-occupied I was with something at work. Soemthing Im working on and need to do better at.

spenceandcass said...

Thanks for that Alicia...I couldn't agree with you more. I am often telling myself to just enjoy this time in my life and not become so overwhelmed with all the things that aren't that important. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that gets that way.

Emily said...

That exact talk has gone through my mind to day too. I normally am in a rush to put the toys away as soon as drake is done and I didnt do that today...I let them sit out!!! I know thats cheesy but for me that was big! I guess my point is that one day I will miss that and I need to be better at spending more time with drake instead of obsessing about my house being clean! Good thought sista!

Kelli said...

Alicia,

After I heard his talk Johnny and I both looked at each other and discussed how much we are going to miss this. I really liked Jamie's comment of how we have a to do list that doesn't include playing with our children and at the end of the day I too, feel empty because a lot of times I haven't played with my kids as much. I promise I am going to try harder because I know one day I will miss it.

Julie said...

I agree. I do the same thing, thinking that it will be so much better when I can accomplish something and it not get messed up right away. I really need to take a lot of the talks more to heart and really study them and improve. Thanks again for the great birthday cake. I am so bad that I used it as Elias's cake the next day, so Elias thanks you too.

Denise said...

It was a great talk and really hit home with me too. Why do we have to be so distracted and wonder where the time goes? A few months ago I heard someone say "Find joy in the journey" I printed a big copy of it and put in on my bathroom mirror. When I see it, it reminds me to slow down and just enjoy whatever stage of life you find yourself in. I love that he repeated that several times. Great entry!