Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Prepared

  Last night for FHE we finally got our 72 hr kits together (I do have a few minor things to get) but if feels so good to have it done.  It has been nagging at me for quite a while.  I was impressed how well the kids listened and put their packs together.  We tried to cover everything we could without scaring them.  Sweet tender-hearted Porter fought back the tears every time we talked about getting separated from each other or if he was at school when something happened it broke my heart.  When we were all done and getting ready for bed Porter came down with his little red Book of Mormon and said he wanted to put it in his back pack.  I tried to explain that he would need those to read and we would find another set.  Brian told him "Dad will make sure to have some in my pack for the whole family"  Porter really really wanted them in his.  I found him one I use for travel and let him put them in his pack he was so glad.  It amazes me just when I think that I am not getting through to my children (or one in particular) that they show me what great spiritual children they are and that to my surprise they do listen.  It was a great night that all ended with them saying their own prayers asking Heavenly Father to help them be prepared and not be afraid.  Yeah finally a night where I didnt go to bed feeling like a guilty mom and all the things that I should have done today that is a great feeling. 

I am so grateful that we have a living Prophet to guide us and help us to be prepared for what ever is in store for us.  I love being able to feel that peace and not fear.

7 comments:

spenceandcass said...

I loved this post Alicia! I worry about the same things with Ava. Hopefully she listens as well as Porter.

Nat and Dave said...

Such a lovely post! Loved it! Did you read the ensign this month? Cus you if not you totally did what it asked us to do! I really loved this post! Your family is so cute! I can't wait to have kids and make fun memories like these! You guys are so cute!! love ya! ps.. im gonna start lifting soon... you'll have to give me your work out routine!! ;)

Nat and Dave said...

The article that I was speaking about was talking about using the internet (ie) blogs to share your testimony and talk about things you are doing with your families and share spiritual experiences...It talks about how the internet is to powerful and we can really reach out to others by sharing experiences just like the one you shared!! It was as if you had just read the article! You must have been inspired or something!..:) I know what you mean about being in a hurry to post... luckily when im not busy at work I have all the time in the world to write silly posts...blogging gets me through the day sometimes! :)

THE WILSONS said...

Oh my gosh! I just found your blog through Cassie's (yep... kids are asleep... so thought I would blog surf! :). How are you guys?? I felt so homesick when I saw your kids pics. They are getting so big. I even saw a pic with our old house in the background... sniff... sniff... :)

We're doing well. Loving LA... but missing family, friends and UT. I'd love to keep track of you guys. I'm new to this whole blogging thing and usually don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. But... our blog address is:

jackandgracewilson.blogspot.com.

I'm going to add you to my friends list so I can keep track of you guys... if that's alright.

So good to see you guys. Miss the old neighborhood. Hope you're all doing well.

Jenny Wilson

Nathan W said...

What a great post. I have 72 hour guilt, I really need to get on that. Porter sounds like such a sweetie!

Sherice said...

Alicia-you guys are awesome!! I really need to do that too-but where to begin? I need your help on what I need and stuff. I love those moments with your kids-it just makes it all worth while, huh. By the way, I got on your photography website(which I had no idea existed) and HOLY COW!! You are an amazing photographer!! I had no idea- I thought you just dabbled. You are much too humble-you need to advertise-I'll spread the word!! See ya soon!

Jenni said...

I thought I already left a comment, obviously I didn't... It's so nice to have those done, and how cute is Porter. You guys do a great job at teaching your kids!!! It's amazing to me what they do pick up and actually use in there lives. We love having you as friends and are looking forward to this weekend!